DIY Skull Tassel Key Ring :: Inspired by Alexander McQueen
Thought I'd inspire you on a weekend DIY project that is fun and edgy. I was shopping on SSENSE and came across this Alexander McQueen Dusty Rose and Gold Tassel Key Ring. I have a tiny obsession with skulls and also had a few left over from other past projects (see skull and studded shirt). So I thought I'd take a stab at re-creating my own. I am no Alexander McQueen of course and my version is certainly not made of gold, but I really liked the way it turned out and have attached in to my studded purse since.
Keep reading for step by step instructions!
- A hallow skull head with a hole at the top (you may be able to buy one with a loop on top
- Leather fringe trim - mine was actually from an old purse which I cut the trim from, but you can also buy trim from local fabric store or make your own by cutting a piece from leather fabric - suede option here
- Two rhinestones
- Two small silver balls (larger then the size of the hole on top of the skull)
- A glue gun
- Key ring
- 2 sets of plyers
- E-6000 glue - here
1. Start by gluing the two rhinestones with E6000 as eyes onto the skull head. If you've never used E6000 before, please read the instructions prior to use.
2. Heat up your glue gun, then apply a small dab onto the inner end of your leather trim and fold over (like you're rolling sushi!)
3. Continue rolling your leather trim by applying hot glue every section you roll up. Set your rolled up trim aside.
4. To create a ring hook so that you can attach the key ring to the skull, start by cutting a small strip of wire, approximately 4-5 inches. Fold in half and use two sets of plyers to create a loop as shown below and twist the ends together. Insert a small bead through (make sure the size of the bead is larger than the hole on the skull head!)
5. Insert the wire through the bottom of the skull.
6. Insert another bead through the top end and once again make a loop shape using two sets of plyers. Cut the ends off.
7. Attach to the key ring!
Final product!! I love the way it looks on a purse rather than using it for my keys.
Jacket - Roxy (old) / Sweater - J.Crew / Pants - JBrand / Bracelet - J.Crew (I got it at 60% off!) / Sunglasses - KayTran / Studded Purse - on my own shop but sold out in black, I have one more left in tan, please leave me a comment if you are interested.
It's no Alexander McQueen but a great $5.00 alternative!
I hope you like this DIY project, please share this post and your version with me!
x natalie x