I love using permanent markers in my DIY projects. They are so versatile and come in so many different colours, felt tip sizes, and can be drawn on countless materials and surfaces. I’ve worked on many marker projects in the past, but I must say, what I am about to show is by far my best DIY work!
Since I had holidays on my mind, I thought it would be super fun to inject the colour of rainbow on some ordinary dishware using the a variety of Permanent Markers. The results were amazing!!
These colorful, customized holiday inspired plates and mugs will be the best gift for family and friends!
What You Will Need:
- Assorted permanent markers in various colours. I used regular ones and baked them, but if you want to be extra careful, there are some food safe options out there
- Assorted white plates and mugs
- First, you’ll need design inspirations! Look for different designs on Christmas cards, gift tags, wrapping paper, etc. Once you’ve got your design in mind, don’t be afraid and get started!
- I started drawing with a black marker as outline, then filled in with all the different colours. I didn’t only stick to holiday colours of red and green, but I used all colours of the rainbow!
- I also tried using colour first, then outlining in black, both work well, but I would only recommend this method if you’re really comfortable with drawing. The outline option is the safer route.
- Try your best not to go over dark colours with light colours as they may bleed and smudge
- Don’t worry! If you make a mistake, wet a paper towel and rub the surface clean. The marker will come off the dishware surface until you cure them by baking them in the oven.
- If you want to be able to wash these and preserve them over time, be sure to bake the dishes in the oven at 450F for about 30 minutes. Please note that I didn’t use food safe markers. So apply this tutorial at your own discretion.
I absolutely love these and I am definitely planning to make a few more! If you’re nervous about the safety in terms of consumption, you can easily apply this tutorial to decorative items and even desk accessories such as a pen holder! Last but not least, I work hard on these tutorials, so if you were inspired by this post, I hope you’ll pin it and share it with others!
Disclaimer: Apply this tutorial at your own discretion in terms of food safety. My Little Secrets is not liable for any potential issues.