Do you dread wrapping gifts over the holidays?
If you do, don’t! I’m sure that over the years, you’ve managed to master the art of wrapping regular shaped boxes. Either that, or you’ve likely accumulated piles of gift bags and tissue paper to help you get the job done. The truth is, I love gift wrapping. To me, it’s like a piece of art! Each gift can be customized with fun paper and accessories. And they can even be placed around the house before they’re shipped off to each recipient as holiday home decor!
However, I must admit that, awkwardly shaped gifts require a little bit more brain power and energy to wrap. But no need to fret because I’ve partnered with Scotch® to show you three easy ways to tackle some common but oddly shaped gifts.
What you’ll need to get started regardless of the gift’s shape are:
- Assorted rolls of wrapping paper
- Scotch® GiftWrap Tape
- Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape (optional)
- Scotch® Expressions Masking Tapes (optional)
- Scotch® Expressions Magic™ Tape (optional)
- Any other decorative items such as ribbons, gift tags and greenery
1 Small Accessories or Make Up Products
Wrapping small accessories and make up products can be tricky. This simple yet cute option is a great alternative to purchasing a gift bag or using a gift box. This literally takes only a few minutes and you can use a variety of coloured and patterned wrapping paper paired with matching ribbons to make each and every gift package standout from the rest.
- Cut wrapping paper to desired size, fold both ends to the center and secure with Scotch® GiftWrap Tape
- Start with one end and fold upwards towards the center, about 1 to 1.5 inches
- Punch two holes through on the fold
- Weave ribbon through both holes
- Tie a bow
- Stuff the pouch with gift items and repeat steps 2-5 on the other side
2 Round/Cylindrical Shaped Gifts
Lots of great gift ideas come in round or cylindrical shapes. Some fabulous examples are candles, jams, body scrubs and creams. Wrapping cylindrical gifts may seem overwhelming, but with enough practice, it can be quite a breeze. The key to wrapping cylindrical is using pleated folds.
- Place the gift on top of the wrapping paper. Ensure each end is at least as long as the radius of the cylinder
- Wrap the gift lengthwise and secure with Scotch® GiftWrap Tape
- Start with one end, you will need to prop it up on a raised surface
- Fold a section of the paper down
- Continue by folding a pleat and press down
- Make your way counter clock wise by repeating the pleat fold
- Once you get to the last fold, you may need to adjust the paper slightly
- When the full circle has been completed, secure with Scotch® GiftWrap Tape
- Flip and repeat steps 4-8
- Add some extra decorative elements such as a fun gift tag
I used Scotch® Expressions Washi Tape to hide the original tape seam. This is a great option instead of using ribbons.
3 Soft Blankets, Scarves or Knitwear
I love gifting soft and cozy items for Christmas. Soft blankets are such a wonderful hostess gift and if you want to eliminate the use of a box, this gift wrapping method is a fantastic way to present the gift. The recipient will get a glimpse of the gift for some added excitement!
- Cut a piece of wrapping paper that is 2x wider than the width of the item
- Fold the paper into two layers to create some extra weight to reduce the risk of the paper ripping
- Wrap the gift width wise and secure with Scotch® GiftWrap Tape
- Customize by adding a strip of burlap, ribbon and some fresh greenery
Don’t let the perception how difficult gift wrapping may seem deter you from buying gifts for your family and friends of any shapes or sizes! I hope these easy step by step and photo instructions will reduce the amount it takes to prepare your gifts this year because we can all use some extra time to enjoy a festive holiday treat or two!
Be sure to visit the Inspiration that Sticks blog for more creative ideas and holiday how-to’s from Scotch!
Disclaimer: I am proud to be a 3M sponsored blogger, and as part of my responsibilities, I get the opportunity to evaluate 3M products.