With the official arrival of Fall means more cozy nights in. I love hosting intimate gatherings at home during the cooler months, it’s a fantastic time to catch up with friends and enjoy each other’s company. Hosting dinner parties can be a bit overwhelming, especially if you’re hoping to impress your guests. With my busy schedule, hosting an elaborate dinner party is almost impossible, therefore wine & cheese nights are much more manageable in my opinion.
However, hosting an ultimate wine & cheese night does require some preparation. The wines and cheeses you select are definitely going to be the superstars to your evening, but home decor, dinnerware and your entire tablescape is certainly going to be ‘wow’ factor.
I recently hosted my own Wine & Cheese Night with the help of some fabulous merchants from Manulife Centre, thoughts?!
I hope you’ll be inspired to host your own and be sure to check out my suggested shopping list!
1. Wine: Pick up a few bottles of your favourite wines! I particularly love the Jacob’s Creek Double Barrel Shiraz (aged in whiskey barrels!) and the Trapiche Pure Malbec from LCBO
2. Cheese: A selection of cheese that your guests will enjoy. I typically like to have a wide variety of cheese on hand ranging from soft to hard as everyone has a different preference in their cheeses. This time, I decided to go with Gouda and Brie (but I also had plenty of other tucked away) from the Bloor Street Market.
3. Cheese board: A wicked cheese board is a definite must! I love this one I found at Chapters Indigo that is part wood & marble. I also love the fact that it is round!
4. Cheese knives: Now that you’ve acquired a beautiful cheese board, it is just as important to pick up a set of cheese knives. If you’re in the market for a splurge, I recommend this 4 piece Milky Way Minor Cheese Knives by Alessi from William Ashley.
5. Cured Meats: There are some great assorted meats that are pre-packaged and ready for you to serve if you’re not a cured meat connoisseur. I personally prefer Proscuitto, Spicy Genoa, and Salami. All can be found at the Bloor Street Market.
6. Honey, Figs, and Chocolate: To add some sweetness to the savory tastes of meats and cheese, pair with some fresh figs, natural honey, and decadent chocolate truffles. I love the Orange Blossom flavor from Nude Bee Co. but they also have some other great flavors such as Pumpkin and Blueberry found at Chapters Indigo. I also visited the beautiful Teuscher Chocolate shop situated inside the William Ashley store, their chocolates are so delicious and they also have some beautiful custom packaging!
7. Decorative Placemats: Despite the great wines, cheese, and cured meats you’ll be picking up for your guests. Adding decorative detailing to your set-up will sure set a great atmosphere for your evening. There are so many rich hues and colours available for the fall season. I decided to purchase a few Fall floral tea towels from Chapters Indigo for my wine and cheese tablescape. I’ve been totally obsessed with this rich color of burgundy in my wardrobe and now thrilled to add to my home decor as well!
8. Ambiance: Now that you’re all set for you ultimate wine & cheese night, set the mood and ambiance and turn up some relaxing music to enjoy. There are plenty of great audio options at the famous Bay Bloor Radio (how cute is this Tivoli Model One personal radio?!).
I’d love to hear your suggestions on hosting a great wine & cheese party! What are your favourite wines? Cheeses? Cured Meats? What about must-have decor items?
If you happen to stop by Manulife Centre, be sure to tag #BloorandBetter and show me what goodies you’ve picked up!