DIY :: Front Zip Denim
Hi everyone! To me, the best DIY projects are those that take the items that you already have in your closet and re-purposing them into new items. I've always had problems with pant legs being too long, I'm always either folding them in or getting them hemmed! That's what you get for not having super long legs!
I decided to tackle a DIY project that creates an on trend look but also solves my "these are too long for me" issue. After seeing this pair from Song of Style and this pair from This Time Tomorrow, the Front ZIp Denim option was born!
- A pair of denim or pants that are a couple of inches too long
- Two zipper strips, mine were made for denim, about $2.50 each
- Sewing machine
- A small ruler for measuring
- A fabric marking pencil
1. Line up the zipper to the bottom edge of your pants in the center. Make a mark using the fabric pencil just where the end of the actual zipper is and not the extra fabric trim.
2. With a small ruler, measure vertically down and draw a straight line.
3. Cut straight up the line with a pair of scissors.
4. Line the zipper under the pant slit as shown. Center the zipper to the cut.
5. Cut a small slit horizontally, about a few millimeters. This depends on the width of the zipper you've purchased.
6. Fold the edge inward from the horizontal cut. Align it vertically straight to the zipper and pin it down. Repeat this on the other side.
7. Place under the sewing machine, and sew the zipper along the pinned section.
8. Cut the excess zipper trim at the end.
9. Repeat on the other pant leg.
All done and ready to wear!!!
TIP - If you don't like the front zip look, feel free to try this same technique to the side seam or the back of the pant legs!
Not to long to wear now!
What do you think of this DIY?! I thought the results were terrific and it also gave me the illusion of having super long legs! That's always a bonus!
I hope you're enjoying your hump day! The weather in Toronto is finally warm and sunny! Definitely feeling Spring in the air. This week is a short one for me as I'm headed off on a plane soon!
Oh! I am also very excited that I am featured as CItyline's Blogger of the Month for May! Please swing by there and check out my interview with Cityline!!!
x natalie x